Started in August 2012 by two beautiful sisters, Julia & Libby is a health and wellbeing blog that covers everything that nourishes the body, mind and soul!
Check out Julia & Libby's new photos for their website below. They both look lovely in RUBY Spring 2013!
Julia: RUBY Ciao Bella Dress & Libby: RUBY Silvana Shirt Dress
Libby: RUBY Santa Lucia Halter
We spoke to one half of the sister duo Julia, who is currently studying Nutritional Medicine in Sydney, about how Julia & Libby came about....
How did Julia & Libby start?
Lib and I often had people asking us for recipes of meals we would make so instead of typing them out on an email each time we thought the best idea was to put the recipes up on a blog page and direct people there. We then set up a Facebook page for an easy way to link our recipes, then we started getting likes on our page which prompted us to update the content regularly - things kind of grew from there!
What’s your favourite type of food?
Raw cheesecakes are at the top of my list right now - they are delicious and filling whilst also providing you with healthy fats and no refined sugar. It's a win win situation!
What are you top five healthy living tips?
1. Eight hours sleep each night - it is easier said than done but it's definitely my #1 healthy living rule and during the week I'm good at sticking to it. Bed before 10pm and rise at 6am. You will wake up feeling fresh and new each morning.
2. Eliminate processed foods - The more I learn about food and the role it plays in disease the more I preach about processed foods being the devil. Examples of this are pre-packaged foods and soda drinks. Sadly most of these foods are targeted at children so it is up to parents to educate themselves and learn to read food labels. If you can't pronounce an ingredient, chances are it's not good for you. Stick to whole foods, cooking from scratch and get back to basics.
3. Me time - Very very important! Even if it is five minutes out of your day dedicated to yourself, a time where you can sit back and reflect on what you have done or what you would like to achieve. Going for a walk, taking a bath, meditation, yoga, reading a magazine, there are endless options of ways you can have me time.
4. Green Smoothies - Yes they may be the 'it' thing right now but I have been drinking these babies for years and highly recommend you join in if you haven't already done so. We all know the 7+ a day rule but can we honestly say that we stick to it each day? Green smoothies are the best way to pack numerous servings of fruit and vegetables into your diet in the tastiest way. They leave you feeling full, provide nutrients and plenty of fibre.
5. Have a big breakfast - Oats, smoothies, fruit salads, vegetables juices... there are so many options for breakfast. In order to perform at your best, fuel your body with a nourishing meal at the beginning of the day.
What's your favourite recipe?
It would have to be our Raw Chocolate & Banana Fudge. This is a totally raw fudge with absolutely no refined sugar. If you have a sweet tooth and are trying to wean yourself off sugar give this a try. Made with nuts, fruit, raw honey and cacao providing your body with potassium, magnesium, vitamin E and Manganese. (not suitable for children under the age of 1 due to the raw honey content)
You will need:
- 3 ripe Bananas
- 3/4 cup Raw Cacao Powder
- 1 cup Almonds
- 4 Tbsp Almond Butter (or peanut butter if you can’t find almond butter)
- 1/2 cup Medjool dates (pips removed)
- 2 Tbsp raw organic honey
- Place Medjool dates, 1/4 cup cacao powder and almonds into a food processor or blender and blend on high until all ingredients are combined.
- Line a glass pan and spread the mixture into pan so that you form a thin layer – this will be the base of the fudge. About 1cm thick.
- In a food processor or blender place the bananas, 1/2 cup cacao powder, almond butter and honey. Blend until well combined, the ingredients will have the same consistency as mousse.
- Spread this mixture on top of the base ingredients that are in the glass pan, use a spatula to spread evenly.
- Place in the freezer until firm – it takes about an hour; then cut into squares and store the freezer. I have put baking paper between the layers of mine to stop the pieces sticking.
What exciting things can we expect to see from Julia & Libby in the coming months?
We are in the process of having a website made so that we can provide our followers with more recipes plus tips and tricks to help you live a healthier lifestyle.
'The purpose of our blog is to inspire and share our holistic approach to life. Beautiful things make us happy.' (We love this motto!)