We have 16 double passes to give away to I Give it a Year. See Facebook or in store for details.
Category | Watch
Possibly the best movie of 2012, MOONRISE KINGDOM will screen in Auckland's Silo Park this Friday 11th Jan at 9pm.
Hi there! I guess an introduction is in order as I will be guest-blogging my way across the RUBY website over the next few weeks. I run a little website called www.alwayssometimesanytime.com where as well as writing lengthy diatribes on the merits of Rob Lowe (because of this) I write about fashion and style the occasional shoot (preferably on Photoshop, preferably with aliens and haute couture). When I’m not doing that I’m a staff writer at www.undertheradar.co.nz, which is “New Zealand’s biggest alternative music website.
I was going to spend this, my first post of the week ranting about vapid personal style blogs, simultaneously questioning why the fashion industry attracts that kind of idiocy like moth to a flame. But instead I took a deep breath, cleared nightmares of grammatical errors and amateurish puns from my mind and decided to detail the online fashion platforms which are innovative and exciting: places where you can read and learn and not feel like a retard for believing that fashion – like art and music - is an integral part of our cultural landscape.
- The Business of Fashion: is exactly what it says it is. Founded by Imran Amed The BoF has recruited a network of intellectuals who contribute detailed essays on everything from sustainability in fashion production to the relative merits of a particular designer.
- Bullett Magazine: is an American magazine that has some of the best RSS titles I have ever come across. They also write everyone’s favourite thing, lists, really well, aren’t afraid to be controversial (although if I was directing a film and was offered Chanel’s jewellery vaults I don’t think I would turn them down either) and interviewed a Washington-based ‘Style Consultant’ which, combining politics and fashion is pretty much both my ultimate job and one of the best interview I have ever read.
- Portable.tv: are a multi-disciplinary fashion website who also hold conferences and run online stores (I think). But most importantly, they make a really good argument for *why Lana Del Ray sucks as a human being**.
- The Cut: you guys probably already know how awesome New York Magazine’s fashion section, ‘The Cut’ is, but did you know that Vagina Crystals are a thing? See, it’s very important that you follow this website. They also created a prolific image gallery of Tilda Swinton’s wardrobe that suggests she really enjoys shiny fabrics and does not make her opinion on adorning one’s private parts clear.
- Slutever: while we’re on ‘below-the-belt’ topics let me introduce you to Karley Sciotino, a fashion-sex-everything awkward-blogger who is revolutionizing the way women think about and discuss personal issues. Who needs Sex and the City when you have an Opening Ceremony-endorsed babe openly blogging about online sex. And fashion and culture, which is the only thing on her site I read, of course.
Enjoy! I hope you found some new reading material to keep your iPad stocked over summer and were sufficiently entertained to read next week’s post or to head over here for more.
RUBY have x10 2-for-1 passes to give away to DIANA VREELAND film.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and closest RUBY store location to be in to win.