With summer fast approaching, we caught up with our friend & M.A.C Senior Artist Oceania, Amber Dreadon to get the low down on the latest spring/summer beauty trends and her summer skin care tips! We think Amber has the coolest job ever; jetting around the world to do beautiful make-up at fashion weeks, on photo shoots and at events.
What are your top five tips for caring for your skin in the warmer months?
- Wear sunblock - but that should be all year round. I like to make sure that either my moisturiser or foundation always has SPF and in summer I add our Prep & Prime Face Protect SPF50++.
- Keep skin hydrated with M.A.C Fix +, keep it in your bag and refresh throughout the day.
- Create glowing lush skin by priming with M.A.C Prep & Prime Moisture Infusion, the perfect primer for summer makeup that looks like no makeup.
- No matter what the season, I always use the M.A.C Prep & Prime Highlighter pen to correct darkness and brighten under the eye. I am obsessed with this pen, it really makes such a difference especially when we just want to look fresh and healthy in summer.
- Get a lightweight coverage as well as sun protection from the M.A.C BB Beauty Balm. The ease of the BB in a compact makes it the perfect choice for summer holidays. Plus, M.A.C offers a range of shades for ALL skin tones!
What’s your favourite make-up trend for spring/summer 2013?
We are always the opposite season to the Northern Hemisphere so the makeup trend we are seeing at the moment is from the A/W13 shows but it completely relates to us heading into summer. We are all loving bright lips and so the next step for this is to go a little bolder and deeper. A red is essential, usually a more blue base is the best choice for this summer. M.A.C Ruby Woo Retro Matte Lipstick is a MUST. (A great colour for us at RUBY!) When Riri Woo (Rihanna's new red for M.A.C) is released you need to run not walk to store to make sure you don't miss out.
A simple how-to for a RUBY Party look...
The RUBY girl is always flawless but effortlessly cool so a party look needs to look chic and minimal. A fresh face with a bold matte lip will be the perfect summer party choice!
1. Prep skin with M.A.C Prep & Prime Moisture Infusion.
2. Apply M.A.C BB Beauty Balm Compact with the #187 Stipling brush - polishing it in.
3. Use the Prep & Prime Highlighter (in your shade) under the eyes blended with the #224 Blending Brush.
4. Groom brows into an 80's Super model type shape - keep them soft and feathery and not too arched using M.A.C Brow Pencil to fill gaps and comb up and set using the backstage essential Clear Brow Set. (avoid over shaping and going too thin with brows as a fuller soft brow will keep the face looking younger and fresher!)
5. Define the eyes with a super thin line along the lash line (as seen at countless AW shows this season) - use M.A.C Superslick liner for all night wear. The curl lashes and apply Extended Play Mascara to define the lash, this mascara is amazing as it won't clump up.
6. Apply a small amount of a cream blush to just below the apples of the cheeks to keep skin looking bright and fresh - I almost always go for a soft peachy-pink to uplift the skin.
7. Prep lips with M.A.C Prep & Prime Lip primer, hydrating and extending the wear of your lipsticks.
8. Apply a lipliner to the entire lip area to ensure a perfectly applied lip. By applying the pencil over the whole lip the colour will wear more evenly and you won't be left with an outline. I love the new M.A.C Prolongwear Lip Pencils as they stay on for a crazy long time!
9. Finish the lip with M.A.C Ruby Woo lipstick! This lipstick is best applied from the lipstick bullet to ensure the colour has maximum impact.
What's your must-have make-up product for S/S13?
Its a return to the longstanding M.A.C essentials this season - the products that made us the go to brand for Makeup artists!
- Ruby Woo Retro Matte Lipstick.
- Prolongwear Paint Pots - Groundwork is a MUST for eyes and contouring cheekbones.
- Clear lipglass - the most glassy looking lip gloss ever is making its comeback this season, sitting perfectly alongside the clothing trend this season that is so heavily 90's inspired.
- Strobe Cream - the always reliable lotion to make skin look more luminous and bright. Perfect with or without makeup.
We can’t wait to check out the new M.A.C Indulge Collection. What is your favourite product in the new range and why?
Well of course I love it all but I think the new Gilt Gourmet Fluidline is pretty extra special! It is a super gold eyeliner that looks like liquid metal when applied and can be used pressed onto the eyelid as an eyeshadow. Very luxe!